- Who taught you needlework skills and when did you first start learning?
My mother taught me a lot at the age of 9 years
- What is your favourite form of embroidery?
I am enjoying the basic back stitch I am doing on some little rabbit quilts and of course smocking.
- When do you find time to embroider/sew?
Any moment I can. I get the most done in the evenings watching TV with my husband.
Sweet Memories-Cottontail-class available at SAGA Las Vegas Retreat
- What inspires your designs?
My granddaughters have been the greatest inspiration.
- Do you attend classes and workshops as well as teach at them?
I have attended very few classes. I am mostly self taught.
- On average, how long would you say it takes for you to complete a piece, from design concept to end?
It just depends on the project, but I usually complete them over time
- Do you belong to a sewing guild of any kind?
I belong to Prayers and Squares at my church. Quilts are made for the sick and hurting.
Paper Doll-Mother's Rose-class at SAGA Las Vegas Retreat
- Do you smock?
I do smock.
- Where is your favourite place to stitch?
Favorite place to stitch is my chair with a good light source.
- Are you married? Children? Pets?
I am married. I have three children; six grandchildren; one great granddaughter and one great grandson due in March. I have a 14 year old tabby cat named Agnes.
- What is your most favourite sewing tool?
Favorite sewing tool is a needle.
- What sewing tool do you carry everywhere and why?
I carry a lot due to teaching classes, and I always carry some project with the necessary tools.
- What other hobbies/interests do you have?
I like to do a little gardening when I can get away from the sewing.
- How often do you travel to teach?
I travel to teach on most Saturdays and some Fridays.
- Have you a favourite location where you most enjoy teaching?
- Where can we get to see your projects (magazines, stores etc.)?
One of my quilts was featured in the Sew Beautiful magazine, Issue #95 in 2004. Also Country Bumpkin published a book on how to make one of my quilts, Sweet Memories. The book is currently out of print.
- What do you do with your completed projects-frame and keep, give away, etc.?
I give away a lot, have some in frames and keep a lot for display in shops.
- Do you have a favourite colour(s) that you tend to use more than others?
Christening Gown Quilt
- Have you had another type of career other than in the sewing area?
No other career, I am retired from the Texas Dept. of Health
- How do you see the future of your sewing career?
At my age, I just hope my eyesight will allow me a few more years.
- What do you do to recharge your creative spark?
Just have an open mind.
- What technique still can’t you get the hang of……..?
- What is the biggest enemy to your creativity?
Cooking and cleaning.
You can visit Brenda's website at: