Thursday, December 4, 2014

An Interview with Brenda Shade.

Brenda Karon Shade will be teaching at the SAGA Las Vegas Retreat at the end of February 2015. Her classes will be 'Paper Doll- Mother's Rose ' and 'Sweet Memories Cottontail'. Both pieces are quilt blocks featuring minature dresses.

 I did an email interview with Brenda to learn a little about her.


  1. Who taught you needlework skills and when did you first start learning?
My mother taught me a lot at the age of 9 years 

  1. What is your favourite form of embroidery?
I am enjoying the basic back stitch I am doing on some little rabbit quilts and of course smocking. 

  1. When do you find time to embroider/sew?
Any moment I can.  I get the most done in the evenings watching TV with my husband.
Sweet Memories-Cottontail-class available at SAGA Las Vegas Retreat
 
  1. What inspires your designs?
My granddaughters have been the greatest inspiration.

  1. Do you attend classes and workshops as well as teach at them?
I have attended very few classes.  I am mostly self taught.
  1. On average, how long would you say it takes for you to complete a piece, from design concept to end?
 It just depends on the project, but I usually complete them over time 

  1. Do you belong to a sewing guild of any kind?
I belong to Prayers and Squares at my church.  Quilts are made for the sick and hurting.
Paper Doll-Mother's Rose-class at SAGA Las Vegas Retreat

  1. Do you smock?
I do smock.

  1. Where is your favourite place to stitch?
Favorite place to stitch is my chair with a good light source.

  1. Are you married? Children? Pets?
 I am married.  I have three children; six grandchildren; one great granddaughter and one great grandson due in March.  I have a 14 year old tabby cat named Agnes.

  1. What is your most favourite sewing tool?
Favorite sewing tool is a needle.

  1. What sewing tool do you carry everywhere and why?
I carry a lot due to teaching classes, and I always carry some project with the necessary tools. 

  1. What other hobbies/interests do you have?
I like to do a little gardening when I can get away from the sewing.

  1. How often do you travel to teach?
I travel to teach on most Saturdays and some Fridays.

  1. Have you a favourite location where you most enjoy teaching?
Quilt shops,
 
  1. Where can we get to see your projects (magazines, stores etc.)?
One of my quilts was featured in the Sew Beautiful magazine, Issue #95 in 2004.  Also Country Bumpkin published a book on how to make one of my quilts, Sweet Memories.  The book is currently out of print.

  1. What do you do with your completed projects-frame and keep, give away, etc.?
I give away a lot, have some in frames and keep a lot for display in shops.
 
  1. Do you have a favourite colour(s) that you tend to use more than others?
Pink.
Christening Gown Quilt

  1. Have you had another type of career other than in the sewing area?
No other career, I am retired from the Texas Dept. of Health

  1. How do you see the future of your sewing career?
At my age, I just hope my eyesight will allow me a few more years.

  1. What do you do to recharge your creative spark?
Just have an open mind. 

  1. What technique still can’t you get the hang of……..?
            I would like to be better at picture smocking and shadow embroidery.

  1. What is the biggest enemy to your creativity?
Cooking and cleaning.
 
 
                                      You can visit Brenda's website at:
 
                                                http://www.kreationsbykaron.com/


 

No comments:

Post a Comment