Friday, April 20, 2018

Buttons

I was going through my stash/collection of buttons the other day and sorting thought them. Of course I have more than I will ever use in my lifetime! Many of them I have acquired at vintage textile shows or in thrift shops. Good buttons for smocking and heirloom garments are hard to find in my area. The modern ones have no character and plastic doesn't always look right. So I buy vintage mother-of-pearl buttons when I see them. Of course, I need shank buttons and buttons with two or four holes in them and I need different sizes. So my stash, or rather collection, has grown over the years. It was time to organize them again and remind myself just what I do have, which might stop my buying more! (who am I kidding!).


While I was going through the collection I found many still on the original button cards. These cards are all very pretty and many are helpful too. Button cards today state the price and makers name but little else. Some of the vintage button cards state manufacturer, country of origin and button size. They also have lovely pictures on the cards of decoration. Much more fun!


Do you have a button stash, sorry collection?

No comments:

Post a Comment