Saturday, June 16, 2018

Let's meet Susie Gay! (Part 1)

SAGA approved teacher Susie Gay is teaching at the SAGA National Convention in Winston-Salem and agreed to be interviewed for the SAGANews blog.  Susie answered all of the questions and so the interview will be in two blogs!

So let's learn a little about Susie!


1. Who taught you needlework skills and when did you first start learning?

My mother first taught me some basic embroidery stitches when I was in 1st grade.  In 4th or 5th grade I learned what I call “American cross stitch”, those printed kits. I still have those samplers. Then she started teaching me machine skills, cutting out patterns, etc., when I was in junior high. She also tried to teach me to knit, and I did some, but basically didn’t really enjoy it. Much of the early needlework I did I taught myself to do from those booklets  and pre-printed pillow cases and hand towels you could get at Five and Dime stores. In school we had to take Home Economics classes, which we should still teach to school children. I ended up majoring in Home Ec and received a B.S. in Home Economics from Marymount College.



2. Favorite Form of Embroidery?

 I really enjoy Silk Ribbon Embroidery because you get a lot of ‘bang for the buck’ with little effort. Watching that ribbon curl and loop into beautiful shapes mesmerizes me. But I also enjoy whitework: the preciseness of it, the different techniques and stitches, are a challenge, and I like challenges.



3. When do you find time to embroider or sew?

I work on something, whether a design, instructions, sewing or needlework, every day, usually in the afternoon. If I don’t get to it I get grumpy. ‘Nuff said!



4. What inspired your designs?

Many different things inspire my designs: a technique, unusual trim treatment or design element on a vintage or antique garment. An article in a magazine can send me off into a creative stream of ideas. A trip to an art museum, or looking through my collection of needlework books can be very stimulating. Sometimes I develop a design from something that I find useful. Then, of course, there’s Pinterest…..



5. Do you attend classes and workshops as well as teach at them?

Absolutely! I had the great fortune to attend two whitework classes offered by the Royal School of Needlework in Williamsburg, taught by Jenny Adin-Christie, the preeminent whitework teacher in the world. That was one item checked off my bucket list! I am a member of EGA and take classes when possible. And of course, I’ve taken several workshops offered at Chadwick Heirlooms in Richmond, VA, since the store is only 1½ hours away from my home. And through the years I’ve taken classes from many of our wonderful, talented SAGA teachers. I believe it’s very important to keep learning and refining my skills, and to learn new ones.
Susie at the Royal School of Needlework


6. On average, how long would you say it takes for you to complete a piece, from design concept to the end?

It can take months, or a year or more, from designing a project in my head to actually putting it into needle, thread and fabric. After I work it out in my head, I draw it in my current design notebook in pencil, with several different views. I make notes, consider the construction techniques and steps, fabrics, etc. If it’s a christening gown (like my Elegance Christening Ensemble), I have to draft the pattern pieces and test them out in a toile. After refining that, then I move to the actual fabric and trims, researching resources and availability. As I sew it up, I work out and possibly change the design, trims, whatever is needed to get the final design I know I want. I’m also thinking about (if it will be a class) the easiest way to teach the class and present it to students. And at the same time I’m typing it all down in the computer to start the instructions, taking photos of the construction process, and listing all the kit and student supplies. It’s an involved, detail-oriented process.




7. Do you belong to a sewing guild of any kind?

I’m a past president of my local SAGA Chapter, the Colonial Cablers, and go to the meetings when I’m home. I am a member-at-large of the Embroiderer’s Guild of America (EGA).



8. Do you smock?

I love to smock. Currently I’m working on Wee-Care gowns and bonnets using a new thread I found: Valdani variegated #12 pearl cotton in lovely pastel shades (#M20). The pearl cotton works up quickly and easily.



9. Where is my favourite place to stitch?

My sewing room is perfect for me: small, organized and good lighting. But in the winter I love to drag my floor OttLite down to the living room and stitch in front of the blazing fireplace with a cup of tea, or a glass of wine next to me, especially if it’s snowing outside. I find that very relaxing, soothing and delightful.



10. Are you married? Children? Pets?

I’ve been married for 46 years (in Jun ’18) to my wonderful husband, Mark, whom I met when I was a senior in high school and he was a Plebe (freshman) at USMA (West Point). Our two children, Chris and Gretchyn, are both married to great spouses. We have three wonderful grandchildren; Jillian (11), and Vivian, (9), and Zachary, (5). Mark and I enjoy our 100lb Golden Retriever, Barley (he keeps us on the go) and our tuxedo cat, Bojangles, who wakes us up every night begging for treats (which I call Kitty Crack).



11. What is your most favorite sewing tool?

Of course, my sewing machines (three Pfaffs) are at the top of the list, including my Featherweight and my Singer 99K (that I found at a thrift store and made in 1951, the year I was born). Next to those are my embroidery floor stand and sit-upon, both Elbesee ones, that I was introduced to at the RSN classes and now sell online.

 


12. What sewing tool do you carry everywhere and why?

My scissors….got to have scissors! I have several pair (and who doesn’t?) from my favorite Dovos to Ginghers. I keep them in black velvet lined jewelry trays so they stay safe, neat and organized. And they do look like jewelry against the velvet. 


No comments:

Post a Comment